Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Pushing 28

Despite the fact that I was slightly awkward in high school , believe it or not, I still thought I was, for the most part, a pretty hip chick. I mean, I would go to every concert that came through town, I bought - and cranked my stereo to - the latest CDs, I even wore banana clips at the height of their popularity even though I knew at the time they were anything BUT cool.

I was "down" with what the kids were digging. I was "cool". And this wasn't a phase. Oh no - my coolness factor was something that was a part of me, something that would only get better with time.

But lately, I'm beginning to notice that maybe that was all just a happy little fantasy. Maybe I'm really NOT as cool as I thought I was! Or maybe......could it be.....I'm just getting old?!!

I feel I'm stuck in a time warp, and it's because I'm starting to discover now what my parents had been telling me all along - maybe that music IS too loud. Maybe the new fashion trends DON'T look as good as the kids think they do (do asses REALLY need to be hanging out of the back of a pair of way-too-big-jeans in order to be classified as "in vogue"?).

Maybe, if we all still lived in the early to mid-nineties, I'd fit in just fine.

No....no......let's face it, we're just getting old!

Below is a list of reasons why I know I'm getting old:

1. Driving my hubby's cool car on a warm day, with the t-tops off, I was happily cranking "Daydream Believer" through the streets of Winnipeg, only to be greeted with the grimacing faces of younger people in their cars around me.

2. I used to love Friends, but now I can't seem to get enough of The Golden Girls.

3. When I see a group of youngins at the bus stop, I can't help but wonder, "Where'd they get those sideways ball caps?!"

4. Seeing teenagers smoke really disgusts me.

5. I have no desire to upgrade my free Nokia cell phone - why do I need a phone that takes pictures? That's what cameras are for!

6. Bob Barker looks better now than ever before!

7. I would much rather go out and do some gardening than go shopping.

8. I do (for the most part) daily, household chores without being prompted, and I actually enjoy cleaning!

9. When I see the kids with their sideways ball caps, I just wanna yell at them to PULL UP YOUR GD PANTS!!!

10. Apparently, and I just found this one out, Peter Cetera is NOT cool. Who knew?!

I'm pushing 28 now, 30's just around the corner, and then, well, it's all downhill from there.

Well, as long as I keep on remembering to wear bras, I think perhaps growing older won't be as offensive to the world as I think it could!


Currently playing - Rod Stewart - Forever Young

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home