Monday, April 24, 2006

I married a Winnipeg Jet!

How was I to know that when Donovan asked me to marry him, that I wouldn't know everything there was to know about him? (how many times can I use the word "know" in one sentence?!) Isn't that what marriage is? The next step in a committed, loving relationship built on TRUST?

Well, that doesn't seem to be the case. (Really, it wouldn't have mattered, I married him because he's got a cute butt!)

According to the theory of the general public, because my husband owns, and proudly wears, a Winnipeg Jets jersey, he must in fact have been a hockey player in the legendary, now-defunct NHL team.

Certainly I am not a credible source - I myself do not make up the general public.

Oh no.

My belief in this theory is based on information I've gathered from a cross-section of this city's demographic.

How can I be so sure?

Simple.

Every time I go to the store, or any other public place, in my WestJet uniform* (*note: I run errands after work, it's not like I make a point of putting my uniform on before I go out anywhere!), I can't even begin to tell you how many times people would stop me and say, "Hey, you work for WestJet - do you like being a flight attendant?"

As you know, I, in fact, am NOT a flight attendant, nor have I ever been. No, I'm a lowly CSA, which means I do MORE work than a flight attendant and get half the pay.

But just because I'm wearing the uniform, people automatically assume I'm a flight attendant.

Could this theory hold water? Would that not mean, then, that every time Dono dons his Def Leppard shirt, people could misconstrue his simple love of the hair-band music for something bigger? They don't - but I would love to see the day when Dono's approached in the supermarket by some schlub asking him if he's a member of the band, simply because he's wearing the band shirt! Why is it that people don't assume he's an Ottawa Senator when he wears his official NHL Sens jersey out, but that I'm always tagged with the "She works for WestJet, so she's a flight attendant" stigma?

I just tell them, "Yeah, being a flight attendant is the BEST JOB in the world," and walk away.





FA, or CSA?










Currently playing: Tom Cochrane - Sinking Like a Sunset

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG... Im sorry you seem to dislike the fact that people misconstrue your position as a CSA with being an FA.

:(

But i will say... it's not easy trapped in a metal tube with 130 guests during an absurdly long Red Alert on the tarmac in Toronto....

Both positions have their ups and downs... I had 3 CSA's in my training class that moved over to inflight... and they told us stories!

I want you to know that I appreciate the work you do as a CSA because without the CSA's these birds wouldnt get far. Sure we provide the inflight service but without you guys some people wouldnt even make it to the gate!

hang in there - have you ever considered moving over to the dark side :P ??

:) Keep smiling!
-JGoodwin (westnet me)

3:31 a.m.  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home